Saturday, December 09, 2006

Veppampoo Rasam/Goddu Rasam

Veppampoo Rasam

Rasam that has a blend of Salt, Sour and Bitter taste.
Rasam that is very soothing.
Veppampoo (Neem flower) is believed to have medicinal properties that are good for the stomach.
Easy to make.

Ingredients Needed:
1. Veppampoo (cleaned ) 2 table spoons
2. Diluted Tamarind water 1-1/2 cups or (Soak small marble size tamarind andtake out the pulp)
3. Salt to taste
4. Gud - Little (Jaggery)
5. Hing
6. Water
7. Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp

For tempering:
1. Mustard seeds
2. Toor dal 2 tsp
3. Curry Leaves one sprig
4. Broken Red Chillies 4
5. Oil or Ghee 1+1 tsp

Method:
1. Heat the ghee in a Kadai, add Mustard seeds and when it splutters add Toor dal, Dry red Chillies andCurry leaves.
2. When Toor dal turn golden, add diluted Tamarind Water, Salt, Turmeric, Gud and bringit to a boil.
3. When the raw smell of Tamarind goes, add 1/2 cup water and cook on slow fire.
4. When it is about to boil, Switch off. (Stopped at this stage is Goddu Rasam - Simple Rasam without any Dal.).
5. Fry Veppampoo in another spoon of Ghee and Pour over Rasam. (Addition of the Neem flower makes this Veppampoo Rasam)
6. Close with a lid. [Else the taste the Rasam will go out with its vapours. :-( ]

Serve Piping hot with Steamed rice.

15 comments:

indosungod said...

MT that is a wonderful recipe, my grandmom used to make this and also Veppampoo vadakam(vadam). Now it is almost forgotten.

FH said...

My grandmother used to make this and drink it when she wasn't feeling well! Goddu Saaru,that's what she calls it:D
Thank you for this MT! I will save it.Traditional as it is.

Vini K said...

Hi MT,another easy and healthy recipe..neem flower is known for its antiseptic properties.In andhra,we celebrate our new year(telugu new year-Ugadi)with a chutny made especially which uses neem flower.

Krithika said...

My mother makes this. I have never tried it. Thanks for sharing such a traditional recipe

archana said...

I never knew about this , i am going to pass it on to my mother. She loves rasams and we have a neem tree at home ! Thank you for the recipe MT

Lakshmik said...

Wow MT, my mom used to make this rasam so often. I have vepampoo I will try it out.

Lakshmi said...

very nice recipe MT, thanks for sharing friend.

Pooja said...

hi MT ,
pic of this recipe sounds good, but can you please tell me, what -Veppampoo - is ?
then might ne i can give it a try.
thanks
-Pooja

Menu Today said...

Hi ISG,
My mother prepare veppampoo thuvayal. Vadagam I will ask my mother and MIL for this. Thanks.

Hi Asha,
So, I reminded you of your grand mother,but dont call me granny.Thanks a lot.

Hi Vini,
We too in tamil nadu prepare veppampoo sweet pachadi for our new year. (With fresh neem flower). Thanks.

Menu Today said...

Hi Kirthika,
If you dont like neem flower taste omit and make goddu rasam. Thanks.

Hi Archana,
I dont think this is new to your mother. The neem flower should be dried before using. Thank u.

Hi LakshmiK,
Please do let me know. You will really like this.Thanks.

Hi Lakshmi,
Thanks a lot.

Hi Pooja,
Veppampoo- Neem Flower. (here in this recipe I used dried one. You can make this rasam without this neem flower. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi MT, you have so many great dishes lately I can hardly keep up! This rasam looks so good... might I find dried neem flower in the Indian grocery? Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Menu Today,
I have tried all the rasam varieties that you have posted. Will try this too..Your recipies really rock ! Thanks a ton!
Anjali

Viji said...

Hi, I am viji. This is my first visit to your blog. Very nice presentation with collection of our traditional recipes. Will be visiting often. Rasam is very nice. Viji

Prema Sundar said...

One more rasam from the rasam queen!!!!Heard abt this but haven't tasted it.This is very good for the body I think. thanks for the recipe.

Anu said...

Hi MT,

Wonderful veppampoo rasam :) Loved ur food blog :)

I am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of goddu rasam in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive your comments :)